The Forrest Public Library District was first founded in 1939 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. It opened in the basement of the old high school building, with Mrs. Alta Sorenson as the first librarian. In 1947, the library was moved into the old town hall building, and in 1951, thanks to a gift of $10,000 from Miss Zetta Jennings, the library was moved again into the township hall building. The library was officially established as a library district in March of 1987 and in the fall of 1996, the library was moved into its current building thanks to the generous donation of the building from the Apostolic Christian Church of Forrest. The new building officially opened at its current location on June 3, 1997 and it stands there to this day, sharing the building with the Food Pantry.